An Agriculture Specialist is a specific community development role focused on empowering communities through relevant farming practices.
- Meeting the felt needs of the marginalized
- Demonstrating the love of Christ in tangible ways
- Knowledge of farming methods that are appropriate in the context of the developing world
- Training and mentoring others
- Working creatively with the resources at hand
Many marginalized people live in rural areas and rely entirely on the land for survival. Through agricultural training, farmers are able to implement new strategies based on best practices for growing crops in their location. Training, combined with micro-finance services and access to markets, gives subsistence farmers the ability to increase production, acquire land, and improve their livelihoods. This cycle strengthens the health of entire rural communities.