Human Language Technology (HLT) is a form of artificial intelligence that uses computers to translate one language into another so that people can understand one another and access information they do not currently have in their language.
- Preserving the language, culture, and knowledge of minority people groups
- A desire to see minority language groups have a voice on the world stage and to have access to information
- A heart for marginalized people
- Training in applied linguistics and/or computational linguistics
- Familiarity with and an ability to learn computer software
- An analytical mind able to work through large amounts of data
- Strong language learning skills and communication ability
Innovations in Human Language Technology (HLT) offer significant potential for helping under-resourced language communities find their voice. Whether text-to-text, text-to-speech, speech-to-text, or speech-to-speech, machine translation can help overlooked communities finally be understood in the world. HLT will bring critical educational resources to communities in a way they can understand, and offer new capabilities to the communities among whom we work.